Friday, April 19, 2013

VACTERL Association


I hate talking about my birth defects. I like to pretend it doesn't affect me. I like to pretend there's nothing wrong with me. But let's be real, there's a ton wrong with me. My biggest fear is everyone figuring out that I have all these things wrong with me and judging me. So what am I going to do? Post it on the internet for everyone and their mother to see. Obviously.

VACTERL association. Basically, here's an introduction: Once upon a time, there were a bunch of non-random birth defects that were caused by something doctors don't know. Each letter in "VACTERL" association stands for a different thing wrong with you. If you have 3+ then congratulations, you have it.

V-Vertebral Anomalies
A-Anal Atresia
C-Cardiac
T-Trachea
E-Esophogus
R-Renal
L-Limb Anomalies




Oh, and not to worry, if those aren't enough, people with VACTERL association also tend to have other defects as well. Just for funzies.

So now is where I'm going to explain what in the heck is wrong with me. Because, contrary to rumors that spread when I was in high school, I am in fact NOT dying of cancer. If I was, I obviously would have made the most attractive jerk in school fall in love and then marry me....just like Mandy Moore.

Anyway....

Vertebral Anomalies.
First off, I have two deformed vertebrae. I'm missing the wing lookin' things on the side.
Side effects: I'm pretty sure this affects my balance. #ReasonsWhyICantDoACartwheel
I have a congenital defect in the bone causing scoliosis. Which means my spine looks like the skeleton's on there right. Twisted sacrum and all.
Side effects: Pain. Mostly from my muscles trying to overcompensate for the uneven workload.
Then, of course, I have spina bifida occulta. I'm pretty sure I have the lipomeningocele variation. It's hard to tell seeing as I didn't find out I had it until I was going through health papers searching for my immunization records and stumbled upon a document saying I had it. But seeing as I did have surgery to take out the tumor, I'm pretty dang sure I have the kind where you have a tethered spinal cord attached to a tumor. 
It's caused by your spine failing to fuse all of the way. #YOLO 
Side effects: pain in the back and continence issues. Always a joy.


Anal Anomalies
My favorite....Actually, it's the one thing that I'm most scared to tell people, and quite frankly, with good reason. Growing up, kids are not nice. And you know what? Some adults aren't either. But if you're really going to judge me for something that I can't even remotely help....well, then I think you need to re-evaluate what kind of person you are.
I have what you would call an imperforate anus. Basically, God was like, "let there be baby, but no bum hole....Oh, and that sphincter muscle that people need to go/keep in #2? You only need part of that, right?"
So congratulations to me, I have a man-made one. You know how if you keep earrings in your ears for long enough enough that the hole will stay open? Same concept, except twice a day for many, many years I would have to painfully get rid of scar tissue that had built up.
Oh, in case continence issues and the formerly listed routine weren't humiliating and debasing enough, I had to have a colostomy bag for a while. You see, my man-made anus got infected. And they couldn't have feces going into the affected area. So they disconnected my intestines, cut a hole in my abdomen, and my 4/5 year old self got to go #2 in a bag.
Now, you might say it wasn't that bad because I was so young, right? Wrong. I very distinctly remember being at the pool with my mom and a "grown-up" gawking and making fun of me. It didn't matter that I was little, people who lacked understanding made it hard on me, anyway.

As long as we're on subjects that I hate to talk about, might as well talk about my intestine issues. Like, oh, the fact that they don't like to work. I would take medications like Senekot and mineral oil, I would have to use enemas, the works. One time I was so distended that my intestines almost exploded. A small 5-year old girl had to have TWO pounds of stuff that shouldn't have been there surgically removed. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? My f
avorite was trying so hard to go to the bathroom (while missing a muscle that aids this process) that I gave myself a hernia.
After the longest time I really just was ending up in the emergency room every couple of months. So they tried what was called the M.A.C.E procedure. Also known as the Malone Antegrade Continence Enema.  They basically crushed my appendix into a tube, fastened it to my abdominal wall, and used it as sort of a funnel to my intestines. There was a stoma (or hole) right below my belly button that I would have to push a catheter in. From there, I would have to put in about a liter of fluids.
The worst part wasn't that I was stuck in the bathroom for ages or that I would struggle with continence afterward. Nope, the worst was having to put in the catheter. Most people could take it right out when they were done. But I scar too easily. Every time I tried to put it in, I would experience sharp pain, bleeding, and inflammation. It would be bright red. It would hurt for at least the next hour. Instead, I preferred to keep it in, and taped to my body--which provided other problems. I had this from 5th grade to my freshman year of high school. This is the time when kids were the meanest. People could very obviously see the tube was there--you can easily see that my stomach wasn't flat. Then there's PE, where you get to change in front of everyone. I still to this day remember a bully in 5th grade who, because she was just mad (not even at me), saying that she was going to punch me right in the stomach where my catheter was. Never mind the fact that after that surgery it took a full month before I could even stand up straight.
After years of experimenting with this surgery and finding it ineffective, I decided to have a partial colectomy. It was then that they found out that part of my colon was kinked.

After that, I stopped taking medication. Technically, the average person with this surgery is supposed to have to go to the bathroom 7 times a day. Me...every 1-3 days. Unless I have issues.

Cardiac
Luckily, I don't have any severe heart defects. I had a heart murmur as a baby that resolved itself. Later, getting a regular physical, I had a doctor tell me I had a heart murmur, but I just prefer to think he's full of it, because no other doctor has told me that. Later I talked to him and he said it might be exercised induced. Just like my asthma....ha.


Tracheoesophageal Fistula
In laman's terms, there was a weird connection between my esophagus and trachea, and my esophagus wasn't attached to my stomach. There are many variations, which can look like any of the images below:
Anyway, they stretched down my esophagus and attached it to my stomach. However, due to this weird connection, I also have Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. So the acid in my stomach leaks back into my esophagus, which gives me heartburn. It also doesn't help that my esophagus spasms. So, for a while, I had Barrett's Esophagus, which is where the lining of the esophagus is damaged by stomach acid and is mutated to look like the lining of your stomach. Which, is scary, because it can lead into Esophageal cancer. However, I fixed it, so my esophagus cells are sort of normal right now.
As far as my trachea goes, it may or may not be the reason why my lung collapsed when I was born. Actually, I have no idea why it did. Kind of like how I have no idea why I had seizures as a baby.

Renal
A lot of people have kidney issues. Bless my lucky stars, I don't.

Limb Anomalies
Limb anomalies are very common with people with VACTERL's. I'm pretty sure I have Type II Thumb Hypoplasia. Just like the picture below, I'm missing a thumb muscle. My thumb is also twisted in the joint. #ReasonsWhyIThrowWithMyLeftHand

And there you have it, folks. Everything that I've been scared my entire life to share in one giant blog post. And no, I don't want your pity. If I did, I would have told people about this years ago instead of trying to walk around pretending like I'm normal. All I ask is that you think. Next time when you see a person walking around and you're tempted to poke fun of them, THINK. Think what it would be like to be in their shoes, whether it's a mental or physical condition. Be a little more understanding and tender-hearted.






18 comments:

  1. You were born with traceoesophogealfistula with esopha
    geal atresia. Your esophagus ended in a blind pouch (just ended, no attachment to the stomach), and there was a fistula going from your esophagus to your wind pipe. That's how you were first diagnosed. I breastfed you in the delivery room. Unknown to them at the time, the milk went straight to your lungs. You coded in the newborn nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Sheila will not share this, I will. Sheila had over 30 surgeries, very painful surgeries. She has gone through an awful lot in her life. Not once did I hear Sheila ask "Why me". She did tell me one time when she was still little, "I figure you play with the cards you're dealt".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sheila,

    Thank you for sharing. I am fortunate that I do not have as many birth defects as you, however I do have the same, or probably slightly more severe case of thumb hypoplasia. All of the joints and bones in my left thumb are severely underdeveloped. I spoke with an orthopedic surgeon 2 days ago about what could be done. The answer? Nothing, really. There's nothing that can be done to make my thumb just as functional as my other one, or even to make it look more like the other. After 27 years, that was NOT the answer I was hoping for. The deteriorated muscle in the bottom of my hand near the thumb has caused me a lot of pain. All I've wanted all my life was to be able to "fix" this deformity and feel more normal and whole. I wanted to be able to gain more self confidence. Maybe I should get a second opinion??

    Thanks,
    Meranda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your thumb! Also, sorry for this belated response. This semester has been pretty packed, so my blog has suffered. I guess that means I haven't been procrastinating as much? As far as your hand goes, I really have no idea if there really is some way to fix it. But I realized after posting my story that my self-confidence went up. I think we fear the worse about what other people think of us. Before getting married, I thought that no one would love me. I thought that my family only accepted me because they were used to my defects. But now I realize that there's other people--not just my family--who love me for EXACTLY who I am...imperfections and all. Anyway, if you ever want to talk to someone who kind of understands what you're going through, you can email me! sheilamallett89@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. I just found this blog and thought I'd relate my experience. I was born 2 months premature, with esophageal atresia, my left thumb is missing a muscle and is considerably smaller than my right thumb, and I have two fused vertebrae in my spine. On top of that I required multiple blood transfusions as an infant and have struggled with poor lung function my whole life. I just learned there was a name for my problems, and I'm 41 years old. I always thought I was the only one with these issues. Just wanted to get that out.

      Delete
    3. I just found this blog and thought I'd relate my experience. I was born 2 months premature, with esophageal atresia, my left thumb is missing a muscle and is considerably smaller than my right thumb, and I have two fused vertebrae in my spine. On top of that I required multiple blood transfusions as an infant and have struggled with poor lung function my whole life. I just learned there was a name for my problems, and I'm 41 years old. I always thought I was the only one with these issues. Just wanted to get that out.

      Delete
    4. Hi Ron! Thanks for reaching out! And sorry for the late response--I don't get notified when people comment and I'm not sure how to change that! But just so you know, there's a closed Facebook group called 'VACTERL Teens & Adults' that you can join. It's really nice to have a group of people who can relate to your daily experiences :)

      Delete
  4. You are awesome Shiela! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! thanks so much for your honesty and humour x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pregnant for a VACTERLS-baby, he will born in the next April. We don't know yet exact what is his condition, but he has been diagnosed already the Alphabets VRLS, so it may be he has AET as well. This was a big shock for us in the ultrasound two weeks ago, and now I am seeking all kind of informaton around the net. I am living in Scandinavia, so I am not so good to write English. But what I want to say: Thanks for this blogpost! BR, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, and I don't know what to say. But I support and agree with you,
    I love you. Keep moving forward

    ReplyDelete
  8. first time I've googled vacterl for a long time and this was my first page to stumble upon. I too have spent most of my life pretending I'm normal and denying that I have massive differences in my biological and skeletal framework. ive come to realise at 28 that this is actually a disservice to myself. living with vacterl is damn f*cking hard work. from the stares to the ridiculously unsensitive nosy comments it gets exhausting. I hear your exhaustion in your writing..at least I think I do but I may be projecting my own crap on to it so apologies if that is the case. On the upside I have also encountered some amazing and caring people. I have friends that have stuck by me and treat me in the way that I have kindly asked to be treated. I hope that this is the case for you too. Being a strong character does come with vacterl and I hear people say this to me a lot, ''youre so strong because of it''. they aren't wrong but I wonder if they realise its because we have no choice. if we don't we crumble in to depression and feelings of shame about being different. I will always choose to be strong and 'able' (another one apparently I'm disabled) and continue to wear vacterl as a badge of how life can be hard but manageable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're close enough with the exhaustion comment. The reality is that this blog post is the most productive thing I've done while emotionally spiraling lol. Because at the time I wrote this, I was deeply fearful that my boyfriend at the time (now husband) would reject me once he found out what was wrong with me (because I'd never fully shared my health problems with anyone I'd been with). So I sat down, wrote this blog, and told him to contact me once he read it. And I figured hey, if I'm already making myself super vulnerable, why not share it with the entire world (like I said--I was spiraling haha). Anyway, if you haven't heard of it, there's a closed Facebook group called VACTERL Teens & Adults with over 200 people just like us! Well, not just, because we all have weirdly different stuff going on, but you catch my drift :)

      Delete
  9. I have vactetl. I am very lucky to have had great surgeons that fixed me up. I laugh when people use the phrase...one thing about assholes everyone was born with one! Jokes on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! There's actually a closed group on Facebook called "Adults Living with IA." It used to be called Adults Living with Imperforate Anus, but I suggested a name change for sensitivity reasons. Unfortunately, the didn't like my suggestion for a new name--The Unholy Bums ;)

      Delete
  10. Thankyou for sharing this post. I didn't want to read and run. VACTREL is an issue close to our family and I love to see how you cope with strength and humour. Wishing you all the best and im so happy that your husband read your post ;) xxr

    ReplyDelete